PAN card is an important document for most of us, not just for the reason of filing tax returns, but many of us, use it as a form of verification, as well. So, it goes without articulating that misplacing your PAN or lost PAN Card can leave you feeling nervous and restless. But, there is no reason to worry, as getting a reprint or a new card is as simple as a click of a button.
When you have misplaced PAN card or PAN Card Damaged your current PAN, you should not submit an application for a new PAN. Out of unawareness, people tend to apply for new PAN card in place of applying for duplicate card. Acquiring or having more than one PAN is not in favor of the law. Therefore, when you have lost your PAN, it is suggested to file a complaint with nearby police station to make sure that your PAN card should not get distorted, and then apply for a reprint of your misplaced PAN card with the below given options.
Apply for Lost PAN Card:
Duplicate PAN card shows reprinting of smashed or lost PAN card. As the name suggests while applying for a duplicate PAN card the current PAN of the applicant and the linked details concerning to the specific PAN number. It is highly suggested to provide your PAN card photocopy when applying for Lost PAN card.
Apply for Correction in PAN Card:
Applying for change or correction in PAN card means reprint of your PAN card after doing changes or corrections to your present PAN card details. When you have misplaced your PAN card and if you needed to reprint your PAN card after making any corrections or changes to your current PAN information it is suggested to apply using the application form for changes in PAN card. When you apply for change, the PAN Number of the applicant does not change, but only the linked details related to the specific PAN Number get changed. The applicant has an alternative to make corrections or change to one or more of his/ her Details. Whereas applying for changes in PAN the applicant should give supporting documents for changes.
Steps to Get New PAN Card if Damaged or Lost Online:
- Go to the website of the Income Tax Pan Services Unit. This can be visited at https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/pan/pan-index.html
- This is the home page of the Income Tax PAN Services unit and has diverse choices like application for a new PAN, Enquiry and Tracking status, Reprint of PAN card and changes correction in the PAN information. The applicant must select the option that is applicable for him.
- To apply for a new PAN, Form 49A will be needed to use. Form 49A can be filled up online by going to the above stated website. Fill up the details and put forward the form online.
- After the form is put forward online effectively, an acknowledgement is shown. This represents a unique fifteen digit acknowledgement number. This acknowledgement must be saved and printed for additional method.
- The acknowledgement form must be delivered to the IT department. Before delivering this, you will require attaching a few documents with the acknowledgment form. This involves a proof of address as well as identity proof. Your name which is stated in these documents should be in the same layout as that in the PAN application form. Take care of this at the time of filling up the Form 49A.
- You must also attach two recent colored photographs on the acknowledgment form on the appropriate space. Signatures have to be made where specified. The photograph you attach should be apparent and recent, as this is the similar photograph that will be used on your PAN.
- Application for PAN requires payment of 107 if the address is of India. In this case, you can make the payment by any of the following methods – demand draft, cheque, internet banking, debit card or credit card. If the communication address is out of the country, then the PAN charge to be paid is Rs. 994, and this is only in the type of a demand draft. In case of payment by internet banking, credit or debit card, the payment has to be done at the time of filling up the form, after which a payment acknowledgement will be provided. Take a print of this and fix it with the acknowledgement form.
- The acknowledgement form must come with photographs, address proof, identity proof and the payment proof. This must be delivered to NSDL in Pune within fifteen days of the online application date. The envelope must be written with the words like Application for PAN – Acknowledgement Number. The applications are processed at NSDL after receiving of payment, i.e., if the payment has been done by a demand draft or cheque, you must hang around for comprehension of the payment.
- The steps above are easy and clear. There are sufficient instructions, rules and a list of Do’s and Don’ts in the website that will direct you in each step of the PAN application. The application status can be checked online after the acknowledgement has been delivered. Payments can also be checked online. NSDL also offers the facility of checking by writing to them at their address or by sending an SMS to 57575 by writing SMS NSDLPAN <space> Acknowledgement No.
- The method of changing the details of your current PAN card is same to the method of applying for a new PAN card. At the home page of the Income Tax PAN Services Unit, you will require selecting Changes or Correction in PAN information. Fill up the PAN Change Request Form online and pursue the steps given above. This PAN change request segment also has separate rules, guidelines and Do’s and Don’ts to assist you.